Miami Museum Month is one of the favorite cultural events of the year because it has something for everyone from priceless art objects to whimsical works of fun.
Amazing exhibitions and one-on-one opportunities with artists in spectacular settings are just part of the charm of this event sponsored by the Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau. The 2016 May event shined a spotlight on our diverse neighborhoods and the eclectic shopping and dining.
At the heart of the annual Miami Museum Month are two deals:
- Buy One Get One Free: During the month visitors can get “Buy One Get One Free” admission to select museums.
- Join One Museum See Them All: A great deal for locals; sign up for membership with one museum and receive free admission to other participating museums.
Each year Miami Museum Month gets bigger and the 2016 highlights included are:
- Pérez Art Museum Miami: If you can only visit one museum in Miami then this is your best bet with its world-class collections and picturesque placement on Biscayne Bay.
- MDC Museum of Art + Design: The MDC MOA+D is housed in the 1925-built historic Freedom Tower on Biscayne Blvd. and features emerging contemporary artists as well as a can’t-miss fun Pop-Up Shop.
- Vizcaya Museum & Gardens: The only way to describe this stunning estate is wow! Enjoy art and furnishings inside the Main House and the 10 acres of gardens at this National Historic Landmark.
- The Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum: This Smithsonian affiliate is located on FIU’s main campus and includes permanent and rotating exhibits as well as a sculpture park.
- The Wolfsonian-FIU: No visit to the Art Deco District is complete without a stop at the Wolfsonian. For the most unconventional gifts in town, check out The Dynamo Museum Shop & Café.
- Bakehouse Art Complex: If you like your art up-close-and-personal then go to this complex located in the historic art deco bakery building and in the midst of the vibrant Wynwood Arts District.
Other museums that took part in the 2016 Miami Museum Month:
- Ancient Spanish Monastery
- Miami Children’s Museum
- Haitian Heritage Museum
- Homestead Historic Town Hall Museum
- Black Archives History Lyric Theater
- Wings Over Miami Air Museum
- Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU
- Art Deco Museum
- Little Haiti Cultural Complex
- Black Police Precinct and Courthouse Museum
- Bass Museum of Art
- Deering Estate
- Miami Auto Museum
- Holocaust Memorial Miami Beach
- Gold Coast Railroad Museum
- Museum of Contemporary Art, North Miami
- Artcenter/South Florida
- HistoryMiami Museum
- Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami
- Institute of Contemporary Art, Miami
The deals of Miami Museum Month may end in a few more days, but the cool cultural happenings go on year-round.